Exam Board: Cambridge Assessment International Education
Syllabus Number: 0986
What will I be studying?
1. Understanding business activity
- Business activity
- Classification of businesses
- Enterprise, business growth and size
- Types of business organisation
- Business objectives and
- stakeholder objectives
- 2. People in business
- Organisation and management
- Recruitment, selection and training
- of workers
- Internal and external communication
- Marketing, competition and the customer
- Market research
- Marketing mix
- Marketing strategy
4. Operations management
- Production of goods and services
- Costs, scale of production and break-even analysis
- Achieving quality production
- Location decisions
5. Financial information and decisions
- Business finance: needs and sources
- Cash-flow forecasting and working capital
- Income statements
- Balance sheets analysis of accounts
6. External influences on business activity
- Government economic objectives
- and policies
- Environmental and ethical issues
- Business and the international economy
How will I be assessed?
This IGCSE has two examination papers at the end of the course:
Paper 1: 1-hour 30 minutes – 50%
Written examination consisting of four questions requiring a mixture of short
answers and structured data responses.
Candidates answer all questions.
80 marks. Externally assessed.
Paper 2: 1-hour 30 minutes – 50%
Written examination consisting of four questions based on a case study, provided
as an insert with the paper. Candidates answer all questions. 80 marks.
Is there anything else I need to know about this subject course?
Students will need to have a genuine interest in, and be willing to follow the news media with particular reference to business and economics items. There will be an opportunity to set up and run a mini-enterprise during
Written exam 100%