Student Guardians

During their time at Sidcot, all of our international students must have an Educational Guardian. Student Guardians may be a relative or a family friend who is over 21 years of age and is a resident in the UK, but they can’t be a full-time student. Any Guardian for international students in UK schools must always be appointed by a pupil’s parents before the student arrives in the country.

What Does A Student Guardian Do?

The Student Guardian provides a link between parents and the school. They provide support and advice to the student and are responsible for the following: 

  • Arranging travel to and from the UK in conjunction with the parents
  • Arranging travel to and from the school - read more about our airport transit service
  • Making sure the student does not leave the school early or arrive late
  • Providing time at the beginning and end of term for the student to recover from jet lag or prepare for travel
  • Providing a home at half term
  • Providing details of leave arrangements
  • Taking responsibility for a student during an emergency
  • Providing a home for the student if they fall unwell during term time

How To Find A Student Guardian

We appreciate that not all parents will know a suitable person who can assume the role of Student Guardian for their child. 

While we don’t promote one Guardianship over another, a list of approved Educational Guardians with responsibility for current Sidcot students can be found at AEGIS (the Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students).

How To Become A Guardian For International Students

If you’re interested in finding out how to become a Guardian for international students, AEGIS should be your first port of call. It’s a big responsibility, but it can be an incredibly rewarding role.


Download our Guardianship Agreement to find out more about what's involved for both parties.