Board of Governors 2016/17
|Governor Since||Name||Professional Background|
|2012||Chair of Governors Rosemary Carr||Marketing|
|2015||Adam Matthews||Primary Education|
|2016||Andrew Ward||Secondary Education|
|2015||Nick Pyatt||Sustainability / Corporate Social Responsibility|
|2014||Sarah Moore||Digital Technology|
|2014||Tessa Tyldesley||Arts and Primary Education|
|2015||Timothy Bond||Higher Education|
|2014||Timothy Niblock||Higher Education|
The Governance of Sidcot School
- Sidcot School is a company limited by guarantee registered in England at Companies House (2093340) and a charity registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales (296491). The Governors are the Directors of the School for the purpose of the Companies Acts and Trustees for the purposes of the Charities Acts. Its Articles are available here.
- The charitable purposes of the school are to advance education by any such charitable means as the Board shall determine and in particular by the provision of
a. A school at Oakridge Lane, Winscombe, to be carried out in accordance with the principles of the Religious Society of Friends;
b. Facilities and services to other educational charities, schools and institutions;
c. Other educational activities for the education and benefit of the community.
- The Board is composed of up to eighteen Governors, at least half of which must be members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Half of its membership are appointed by the Board and half by Sidcot General Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. One Governor is appointed by the Board on the nomination of Sidcotians, and has to be a former student. The names of Governors are in the Staff List, which also shows the Management Structure, including the Junior School.
- The Board meets twice termly, and has one Committee, Governance and Membership, which is responsible for nominating potential Governors to the Board and reviewing its governance arrangements. This Committee works closely with the Nominations Committee of Sidcot General Meeting to ensure that Governors have a good mix of business, educational, financial, human resources, legal, management, property and safeguarding experience.
- The prime tasks of the Governors are to ensure the long term survival of the school and to maintain its Quaker ethos.
- Sidcot General Meeting, which consists of representatives of the Area Meetings south and west of a line drawn approximately from Hereford to Portsmouth, meets annually to call the Governors to account for the stewardship of the school. It appoints two Quaker Visitors who report to it on their assessment of how Quakerism is maintained.
- The Board of Governors are the schools proprietors. Any correspondence for the proprietors should be addressed to the school at; Sidcot School, Oakridge Lane, Winscombe, North Somerset, BS25 1PD or call 01934 845208