During their time at Sidcot, all international students must have an Educational Guardian. Guardians may be a relative or a family friend who is over 21 years of age and resident in the UK. They may not be a full-time student. The Guardian must be appointed by parents before the student arrives in the UK.
The Guardian is a link between parents and school. They provide support and advice to the student and are responsible for the following:
- arranging travel to and from the UK in conjunction with the parents
- arranging travel to and from the school
- ensuring the student does not leave school early or arrive late
- providing time at the beginning and end of term for the student to recover from jet lag or prepare for travel
- providing a home at half term
- providing details of leave arrangements
- taking responsibility for a student during an emergency
- providing a home for the student if unwell during term time.
We appreciate that not all parents will know a suitable person who can assume the role of Guardian to their child. Whilst we don’t promote one Guardianship over another, a list of approved Guardians with responsibility for current Sidcot students can be found here: AEGIS (Association for the Education and Guardianship of International Students).